Gay Marriage Arguments
Gay Marriage Arguments - Truthful Slogans?
Homosexual activists have done a great job advancing their cause with slick moralistic slogans about equal rights, discrimination, and so forth. As we will see, few, if any, of the pro-gay marriage slogans tell the truth. They sound good to a passive audience, but upon closer analysis, they are exposed as half-truths and deceptive distortions.
The activists have been able to get away with that because our fast-paced lives and sound-bite media provide the perfect environment for propaganda to replace truth. It only takes ten seconds to utter a lie, but it can often take ten minutes to provide enough evidence to explode that lie. The problem for the truth is that there is no such thing as a ten-minute sound bite (thatís why this is a book, not a slogan).
Gay Marriage Arguments - False Premises
The questions below help expose the false premises behind arguments for gay marriage. Take a minute to marinate on each of these questions and consider how you would respond. If you are honest, I think that your common sense responses will help expose the fallacies hidden in most pro-gay marriage arguments:
- Are all kinds of sexual contact the same? Is sexual contact ever unhealthy and/or unloving?
- Are people ever born with conditions that are not normal and sometimes harmful?
- Should the government promote harmful behavior?
- Is there any difference between sexual desires (orientation) and sexual behavior?
- Should people act on every desire they have?
- Must the government recognize every desire people have as a right?
- Is there a difference between skin color and sexual behavior?
- Are children usually better off with a mom and a dad, or is parenting irrelevant to their development?
- Whatís more beneficial to a societyóendorsing homosexuality or endorsing good parenting?
- Should the government endorse behavior that is usually harmful but in rare exceptions is not?
- Is there a difference between religion and morality?
- If marriage has been weakened by liberalized divorce laws, does it make sense to weaken it further by liberalized marriage laws?
- What would be the effect on society if everyone lived faithfully in natural marriage?
- What would be the effect on society if everyone lived faithfully in same-sex marriage?
Gay Marriage Arguments - Consider these Statements
- Donít put discrimination in the Constitution. - Isn't discrimination already in the constitution? Find out how this playing into the argument on same-sex marriage.
- Homosexual Argument - Homosexuality is like race. Homosexuals are a class of people like African-Americans. - Being gay is comparable to being African American. Being against homosexuals is like being racist.
- Homosexual Argument: Gay Equal Rights, We want equal rights! - Is the government responsible to recognize every desire as a right? Do marriage rules apply to everyone?
- Homosexuals cannot change. - Thousand of homosexuals can testify that change is possible! How is is possible? Learn here.
- Homosexuals Were Born that Way - Is homosexuality a result of nature or nurture? What do the facts say?
- I know loving homosexual couples with children who have been together for years. - What is the most important factor in child development? What does that have to do with gay marriage?
- Opposing gay marriage is bigotry. - Is the opposition to same sex marriage based in bigotry or reason? Find out here.
- Opposition to same-sex marriage is a violation of the separation of church and state. - Does this argument hold and weight? Where does it break down? What does it mean to legislate morality?
- Opposition to gay marriage is hate speech. - Is it hate speech to oppose gay marriage? Is there any basis for hate? Why not?
- Opposition to same-sex marriage is like opposition to interracial marriage. - Is there a comparison between gay marriage and interracial marriage? Find out of one exists.
- Gay marriage is about love. Who could be against that? - Why does the state endorse marriage?
- Some marriages do not produce children. - Is this a good argument for gay marriage? Read the response and see the three reasons.
- We need to be tolerant. - What is the difference between tolerance and love? Which is needed in the gay marriage debate?
- Werenít you born a heterosexual? - Is someone born gay or straight? Or are we just born as males and females?
- You are just a homophobe! - Is there a rational basis for being against gay marriage? Find out the facts here.
- You ought not judge! -
Compliments of Correct, not Politically Correct, authored by Frank Turek. For more information, visit www.impactapologetics.com.
What is your response?
Yes, today I am deciding to follow Jesus
Yes, I am already a follower of Jesus
I still have questions